Saturday, September 27, 2008

A New Dawn


So after a day of touring Bucharest, the National Museum of Cotroceni (part of the presidential palace where we had to wrap our shoes with slippers so as not to disturb the centuries-old Turkish rugs), Ceaussescu's Palace of Parliment, lunch at Caru cu Bere Restaurant, and a visit to Mogosoaia Palace, I soaked in a hot bath and then met Petru and his father Nicolae Margineanu at a really nice Italian place in our neighborhood of embassies and gated older homes, just a block and a half from my hotel. We were seated in a small side room where we started with cappuccinos and then moved on to a variety of delicious treats. Nicolae, one of Romania's top filmmakers, brought me a bag of dvds as a gift. We talked about life and God and movies. I told them some harrowing personal tales, and Nicolae explained that one story in particular had stirred up a memory of a film idea he once had. He laid it out, and the three of us kicked it around while I took notes. Nicolae asked if I would be willing to write a script. A script? Oh yes indeed. We followed the dinner with the most delicious tiramisu ever, and then I walked Nicolae part way home. I feel like I am in heaven, where all I have to do is imagine something before it begins to unfold. This reminds me of the time I hitchhiked from Tampa to Vancouver, when everything was lined up perfectly and I was exactly where I needed to be and the universe responded with bounties of gifts and I was blessed and I knew it then and I know it now.
Besides, I finally slept last night. And this morning, Romanian pop music is being broadcast throughout the neighborhood. Or maybe it's a concert; soon, I'll venture to find out. It's still cold and gray out, maybe even a bit colder today. I've a feeling that winter will come fast and hard. Everyone says that other than the university and a really good theatre that there is nothing to do in Craiova, which suits me just fine. Now I have a project. A writing project. Plus, I'll be taking a class in Romanian culture and language. And traveling weekends. Petru's sister, a playwright, has a new play opening in mid-October at a theatre festival in Timisoara...
Life is good. Everything I've ever done, every place I've visited, every person I've talked with, every relationship, every love, every loss, has led me to where I am right now. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though not a playwright nor a poet, I share your sense that this year in Romania was meant to be. We are here with Purposes beyond our own.

Thank you for your beautiful blog.